Registration for 12,13 and 14 & under’s is open under the Registration Menu above.
Tryout Dates for the 2017-2018 Girls Season:
Sunday, October 1: Girls 12/13 Registration 8 am, Tryout 9-11 am
Sunday, October 1: Girls 14 Registration 11 am, Tryout 12-2 pm
Sunday, October 22: Girls 15 Registration 9 am, Tryout 10-12 noon
Sunday, October 22: Girls 16 Registration 12:30 pm Tryout 1:30-3:30
Saturday, October 28: Girls 17/18 Registration 3 pm Tryout 4-6 pm
***This a first tryout. Girls on a Varsity Roster may not tryout until team is eliminated from IHSA Playoffs Check in and observe ONLY
Sunday, November 4th: 2nd Tryout Girls 17/18 Registration 3 pm Tryout 4-6
Tryouts are held at
Adversity Volleyball Center
710 Corporate Woods Parkway
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
Age group is by registration (appears on the card). See below for age definitions.
2017-2018 USAV AGE DEFINITIONS
18 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 1999 or are a high school student in the twelfth (12th) grade or below during the season
17 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2000
16 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2001
15 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2002
14 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2003* or in 8th gr.
13 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2004
12 and Under Division: Players who were born on or after September 1, 2005
The Tryout process
- A new player to club volleyball must complete the Registration for a tryout membership through the Great Lakes Region website to receive a USAV number. Everyone trying out who played club last season, you will need your USAV #
- All players must complete the online form located under the Registrations menu on the Adversity web page. You will need the USAV number at that time. You cannot add information once you submit the registration. You will be asked whether trying out for Regional or National (definitions below).
- Walk ups accepted, but the on line registration muss be completed on your phone or device before she can participate
- The tryout fee will be $40 (cash only).
- Provide a copy of either your current USAV registration card or a new tryout registration for new players. Go to http://www.greatlakesvolleyball.org/wix/index3.cfm?action=home to register
- Print and provide a completed 2017-2018 medical release form (suggested you make copies of this for other tryouts)
- On court
- They will be evaluated by position, however everyone will be given the opportunity to tryout at other positions.
- Players may change their level, or staff may suggest they do
- We will play in controlled situations.
Full season October –June/July Short Season-October to mid-April
2 Qualifiers and a National Event 1 Qualifier
Fees 2700 2300
Weight Room 200 200
Uniform 350 300
Travel Est. Winter 300 125
Travel Summer Depends on Event
Once accepted into the program,
- $300 deposit is required on tryout day to insure your position
- The contract will be provided
- The membership must be upgraded or renewed, to the 2017-2018 full Jr membership in Webpoint immediately
- Make sure both Parent emails are provided, spelled correctly (it happens)
- Select Adversity as the club.
- The Parent Meeting is Wednesday following the tryout.
- October 4, 2017 for all those athletes 14 and younger
There are two common levels, generally referred to as Regional and Junior Olympic.
Regional/Short season teams, generally practice less (2 days versus 3), play in fewer tournaments possibly different from other teams in the age or club.
JO/Long season teams are really expressing the desire to attend Qualifiers and qualify for the Girls National Championships by earning a bid. The GJNC are in late June/early July and the location varies.
Motor Learning sciences states the best way to learn is to play the game. The best way to prepare to compete is to scrimmage and compete 6 on 6! Couple this with a game like practice philosophy, the longer season makes it our recommended option.
The longer season provides significantly more practice time, which means more game like touches! National level teams receive 50% more practice time (more touches) and 125% more physical training. Younger athletes will do more body weight exercises moving to dumbbell work. No heavy weights. Testing will occur monthly
Factors in your decision
The Coaches coaching Background
All coaches have met the Regions requirements, and Adversity has the greatest % of those who have furthered their Volleyball education. We have 15 coaches who have attended USA Volleyballs coaching program. Can the other area clubs say the same?
Can you see the coaching staff’s background? There is a myth that merely being a player makes you a better coach. Adversity is proud of the background of our staff and make it available for inspection.
Proximity. Remember, close and convenient does not mean best, better or even good. Use the following to help you determine the best choice for you.
Cost is another factor. You can work with Adversity to expand the payment plan, but the difference in fees is less than the difference in opportunities to learn!
Practice National 180 hours Regional 120 hour’s 50% more
Work Out National 90 hours Regional 40 hours 125% more
We have two weight rooms, to train all of our athletes. Girls 15 Purple, last season increased their vertical touch height be an average of 3 inches.
Competitive nature of practices. Team sizes of 12. Top 12 players by position so when we scrimmage within the team (almost every day), so they compete against best competition in practice more there than they actually do in tournaments. Teams scrimmage between age groups as well.
The number of athletes that have gone on to the next level, which I significant because it endorses our practice philosophy, our teaching curriculum, and our coaches’ excellence. We coach all the athletes the same way in the team setting, so the fact that our athletes are recognized for the college game says volumes. Not every athlete has the physical characteristics to play at the next level, but they get the same training as those that do for their High School seasons.
Open Gym changes!
Saturday Open Gym has to moved to 12-2:30 pm , due to clinics each of the next 3 weeks.
Sunday Open gym would be limited and from 5:30 pm due to Boys club practices.
13 Adversity Coaches complete USA Volleyballs Coaches Accreditation Program, held at Adversity, August 4-6, 2017!
What is CAP? An educational series from the National Governing Body for coaches who want to learn the latest in the science of volleyball and motor learning theory. And from the best minds in the game!
Why do CAP? Adversity believes in continuing education for its coaches, just as teachers do. Do you want your athlete to learn this great sport based on the most recent learning’s or a coaches previous playing experience, beliefs or opinions?
ADVERSITY 16 PURPLE – BJNC 2017 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
Adversity 16 Purple finishes 1st in Gold Division at the 2017 Boys Junior National Championships!
HUGE congratulations to Head Coach Benjamin Formica, Assistant Coach Bill Moser & the following players:
FACT: 18 Black’s roster is made up of 75% juniors.